Definition of enlightenment in English:
1The action of enlightening or the state of being enlightened: Robbie looked to me for enlightenment
More example sentences
- At that point, I experienced a brief, dazzling moment of enlightenment.
- The television channel's mission was once to educate the nation and bring enlightenment to the masses.
- Though those that follow it really believe it has helped them reach some kind of enlightenment.
1.1The action or state of attaining or having attained spiritual knowledge or insight, in particular (in Buddhism) that awareness which frees a person from the cycle of rebirth.
- Ultimately, the goal is to attain enlightenment, stopping the cycle of rebirth.
- After the Buddha attained enlightenment, his disciples took refuge in him and from him.
- On hearing the Buddha's second sermon the five attained full enlightenment.
2 (the Enlightenment) A European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition. It was heavily influenced by 17th-century philosophers such as Descartes, Locke, and Newton, and its prominent exponents include Kant, Goethe, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith.