Definition of enteral in English:
(Chiefly of nutrition) involving or passing through the intestine, either naturally via the mouth and esophagus, or through an artificial opening. Often contrasted with parenteral.
- If surgery cannot safely be postponed, parenteral or enteral hyperalimentation should be started.
- Forty patients will be randomly assigned to either standard enteral nutrition or standard enteral nutrition containing a probiotic.
- Commonly, these infants need supplemental oxygen treatment for mild respiratory distress syndrome or parenteral nutrition until enteral feeds are established.
- Example sentences
- Additional benefits include the mandatory assessment for refeeding syndrome of all enterally fed patients, with appropriate feeding regimes, supplementation, and blood work for those found at risk.
- Neonates generally should not be fed enterally (by mouth or feeding tube) under certain conditions.
- The requirement for surgery was significantly lower in the patients fed enterally.
Definition of enteral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan