- Feeling or showing envy: I’m envious of their happiness an envious glanceMore example sentences
- You are beginning to discover that some people can be jealous and spiteful and envious.
- Housing renovation has all been done by housing agencies, leaving council tenants to cast envious glances.
- He still had the women swooning, the men in the audience casting envious glances and the youngsters in awe.
- More example sentences
- On the fifth day of consuming it by the bucketful, my skin has turned a subtle dusky shade, close on the color scale to that enviously smooth olive complexion of many Italians.
- As the days progressed, students looked enviously at the empty staff parking lots while they fumed in line, or cruised the designated student lots hoping for parking spots.
- I watch enviously as someone prepares a cocktail from the most unpromising ingredients.
Middle English: from Old French envieus, from envie 'envy', on the pattern of Latin invidiosus 'invidious'.