- The thin membrane of glial cells lining the ventricles of the brain and the central canal of the spinal cord.More example sentences
- These include the respiratory epithelium of the airways (respiratory cilia), the embryonic node (primary cilia), and the ependyma of the brain ventricles (ependymal cilia).
- Supporting cells of the nervous system include the capsule or satellite cells of peripheral ganglia, ependyma, neuroglia, and Schwann cells.
- The most cogent theory that supports the occasional finding of subcutaneous islands of ependyma in the postcoccygeal region in infants is that these lesions originate from extramedullary ependymal rests.
- More example sentences
- Choroid plexus and ependymal cells are quite similar, with the latter showing more ‘degenerative’ cytologic features and fewer cellular clusters.
- Dural, leptomeningeal, or ependymal enhancement are typical findings, none of which were present in this patient.
- Characteristically, meningitis, through retrograde spread, often leads to ependymitis (inflammation of the ependymal lining of the ventricular system).
late 19th century: from Greek ependuma, from ependuein 'put on over'.
More definitions of ependymaDefinition of ependyma in:
- The British & World English dictionary