- An ornamental centerpiece for a dining table, typically used for holding fruit or flowers.More example sentences
- The epergne, or centrepiece, enjoyed popularity in the 18th century.
- The consignment consisted of costly goods, including epergnes, table and dessert services and ornamental figures.
- Cake/dessert, or sweetmeat baskets are extremely popular and apart from the converted liners already mentioned, dismantled epergnes and converted goblets are the two most common deceptions.
early 18th century: perhaps an altered form of French épargne 'saving, economy'.
More definitions of epergneDefinition of epergne in:
- The British & World English dictionary