A protuberance above or on the condyle of a long bone, especially either of the two at the elbow end of the humerus.
- On the inner side of this is a smaller protuberance, the medial epicondyle of the humerus - the bone of the upper arm.
- On physical examination, pain is present from the tip of the medial epicondyle to the pronator teres and flexor carpi radialis muscles.
- The ulnar may pass in front of the medial epicondyle of the humerus or lie behind the condyle.
- Example sentences
- Fragmentation of the medial epicondylar apophysis was present in 50% of the pitchers but in only 12% of the nonpitchers and 6% of controls.
- It occurs in about 25% of bodies, and takes the place of the fibrous arch normally passing between the epicondylar and ulnar heads of flexor carpi ulnaris.
- The retroversion of the humerus was then measured as the angle between the collum humeri axis and the epicondylar axis.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of epicondyle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.