Definition of epididymis in English:
noun (plural epididymides-ˈdidəmiˌdēz-diˈdimiˌdēz)Anatomy
A highly convoluted duct behind the testis, along which sperm passes to the vas deferens.
- Alongside the testicles are the epididymis and the vas deferens, which make up the duct system of the male reproductive organs.
- The epididymis, rete testis, and spermatic cord were free of tumor.
- During sexual activity, the sperm travels from the epididymis to the vas deferens with other glandular secretions.
- Example sentences
- In the present study, an increased incidence of both cystic hypoplasia of the rete testis and epididymal hypoplasia were observed.
- The testis and epididymal remnant were delivered, and a single epididymal tubule was microsurgically isolated.
- The epididymis is exposed through an incision in the scrotum, and then an operating microscope is used to dissect individual epididymal tubules.
Early 17th century: from Greek epididumis, from epi 'upon' + didumos 'testicle' (from duo 'two').
Definition of epididymis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.