Definition of epithelium in English:
noun (plural epithelia /-lēə/)Anatomy
1The thin tissue forming the outer layer of a body’s surface and lining the alimentary canal and other hollow structures.
- Eighty-five percent of human ovarian tumors arise from the epithelium or surface layer of tissue that surrounds the ovaries.
- Each tonsil has an irregular number of ingrowths of the surface epithelium known as tonsillar crypts.
- The lining epithelium was often eroded, and the underlying stroma showed dense infiltration by inflammatory cells.
- Example sentences
- Eyelid closure is a process involving the migration of epithelial cells.
- The cornea is a living membrane, very thin and only composed of epithelial cells over a supporting matrix.
- Many of these cells closely resembled normal superficial epithelial cells.
Definition of epithelium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan