Definition of epithelium in English:
noun (plural epithelia /-lēə/)Anatomy
1The thin tissue forming the outer layer of a body’s surface and lining the alimentary canal and other hollow structures.
- Eighty-five percent of human ovarian tumors arise from the epithelium or surface layer of tissue that surrounds the ovaries.
- Each tonsil has an irregular number of ingrowths of the surface epithelium known as tonsillar crypts.
- The lining epithelium was often eroded, and the underlying stroma showed dense infiltration by inflammatory cells.
- Example sentences
- Eyelid closure is a process involving the migration of epithelial cells.
- The cornea is a living membrane, very thin and only composed of epithelial cells over a supporting matrix.
- Many of these cells closely resembled normal superficial epithelial cells.
Definition of epithelium in:
- British & World English dictionary