Definition of equalizer in English:
1A thing that has an equalizing effect: education is the great equalizer
More example sentences
- ‘The Web is absolutely the great equalizer,’ he said.
- The crisis that struck in mid-1997 was a great equalizer, along with the popularity of the ‘back to nature’ movement starting in the West.
- Wealthy motorists frustrated by the great equalizer, traffic jams, will pioneer a brand new gimmick: motorcycle motorcades for millionaires.
1.1North American informal A weapon, especially a gun.
- Colt claimed that his guns were the ‘great equalizers.’
- Nuclear weapons, chemical weapons and missiles are viewed, probably erroneously, as the potential equalizer of superior Western conventional power.
- More often than not, the real equalizer was his gun.
1.2 Electronics A passive network designed to modify a frequency response, especially to compensate for distortion.
- This panel would then be connected through a patchbay to a microphone, line and program amplifiers, equalizers and echo sends.
- A second equalizer and adjuster circuit to equalize the timed sample sequence for detection and to adjust the gain of the amplifier and the timing of the sampler operates in a user data segment of the signal.
- By separating the equalization of the signal to separate equalizers, the cost of the equalization can be reduced without substantially affecting performance.
Definition of equalizer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan