nounMathematics & Logic
- A relation between elements of a set that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. It thus defines exclusive classes whose members bear the relation to each other and not to those in other classes (e.g., “having the same value of a measured property”).More example sentences
- We are almost ready to define an equivalence relation between hyperreal numbers.
- In The classification of prime-power groups Hall introduces an equivalence relation called isoclinism to aid the classification of prime power groups.
- You can't have a classification without an equivalence relation, and one of the three defining properties of an equivalence relation is transitivity.
More definitions of equivalence relationDefinition of equivalence relation in:
- The British & World English dictionary