plural noun[treated as singular]
The study of people’s efficiency in their working environment.
- Have fun while learning about gravity, anatomy, ergonomics, and social dynamics!
- To designers, though, ergonomics means comfortable efficiency - an excellent goal.
- Along with ergonomics, precision and efficiency have become important issues as well.
- Example sentences
- In general it will become more ‘lean back’ - the ergonomist's description of the human posture with TV - rather than ‘lean forward’, which is what PCs demand at the present.
- For the ergonomist or architect, the task is to understand the nature of the work and the best conditions for doing it, and then to design round these criteria.
- Claims that a product is ergonomically designed need to be backed up by evidence that qualified ergonomists have contributed to the analysis, design, testing, and evaluation.
1950s: from Greek ergon 'work', on the pattern of economics.
Definition of ergonomics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.