noun (plural eryngiums)
- A plant of the genus Eryngium in the parsley family, especially (in gardening) sea holly.More example sentences
- In the herbaceous border they don't seem to care for eryngiums, paeonies, iris or kniphofias.
- Take root cuttings of oriental poppies and eryngiums and put in pots of sandy soil in the cold frame.
- They have planted a formal, yew-encircled rose garden, with blue-painted pergolas and arbours, and have recently planted a gravel garden beside the sea road, with cistus, eryngiums and grasses.
late 16th century: modern Latin, from Latin eryngion, from a diminutive of Greek ērungos 'sea holly'.
More definitions of eryngiumDefinition of eryngium in:
- The British & World English dictionary