A red blood cell that (in humans) is typically a biconcave disc without a nucleus. Erythrocytes contain the pigment hemoglobin, which imparts the red color to blood, and transport oxygen and carbon dioxide to and from the tissues.
- The deformation of the human erythrocyte or red blood cell has been the topic of detailed investigation for many decades.
- There are three chapters devoted to the structure and function of erythrocytes and white blood cells.
- Sickle cell erythrocytes have decreased oxygen affinity and increased unsaturated hemoglobin in the arterial blood.
- Example sentences
- A bone marrow aspirate and biopsy were performed and revealed 51% erythrocytic precursors.
- As the immature cells accumulate in the bone marrow, they replace the normal myelocytic cells, megakaryocytes, and erythrocytic cells.
- Rapidly expanding erythrocytic volume increases blood viscosity and, especially in endurance races, might predispose the athlete to blood clots or other complications.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of erythrocyte in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.