- A moving staircase consisting of an endlessly circulating belt of steps driven by a motor, conveying people between the floors of a public building.More example sentences
- Images submitted to the committee show a modern open-plan mall on two floors with escalators and coffee shops.
- Take the escalator to the third floor for all the photographic equipment.
- By 4.12 pm, they were on the escalator to the first floor of the ladies' department.
early 20th century (originally as a trade name): from escalade 'climb a wall by ladder' (from the noun escalade), on the pattern of elevator.
More definitions of escalatorDefinition of escalator in:
- The British & World English dictionary