- A mental process such as daydreaming that enables a person to avoid acknowledging unpleasant or threatening aspects of reality.More example sentences
- Although Jones's desire to ‘lose’ himself with Ella Mae is ostensibly a desire to use sex as a temporary escape mechanism, his yearning to change places with the child reveals his need to be nurtured and protected by the black matriarch.
- This raises questions about the relationship between the intensity of the escape mechanism and the level of stress faced by these participants.
- Hope suddenly seems pragmatic and realistic, while despair can be seen a naïve escape mechanism, which is what it is.
More definitions of escape mechanismDefinition of escape mechanism in:
- The British & World English dictionary