Definition of espalier in English:
1A fruit tree or ornamental shrub whose branches are trained to grow flat against a wall, supported on a lattice or a framework of stakes.
- Because the fruit is so good, the trees are best grown as espaliers in a small garden, which will maximise fruit production against tree size.
- I want to train a pear tree as an espalier against a wall.
- These include Kylemore Abbey, where 150-year-old apple espaliers line the paths of the kitchen garden.
verb[with object] Back to top
Train (a tree or shrub) to grow flat against a wall.
- Once you know what you are doing, you can prune 12 dwarf espaliered trees in an hour or maybe two each year.
- It was espaliered carefully back onto its old trellis and coaxed into bloom.
- Apples are espaliered along space-saving rows of wire fencing.
Definition of espalier in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan