noun (plural espressos)
- Strong black coffee made by forcing steam through ground coffee beans.More example sentences
- As the name of the place suggests, you can also enjoy a cup of coffee at the store - from filter coffee to cappuccino and espressos.
- I therefore will endeavour to buy some freshly ground espresso coffee in the near future.
- As well as the usual range of coffees (starting with espressos for £1), there's an excellent range of cakes and pastries, a tapas menu and, in true coffee-house style, weekly acoustic music evenings.
1940s: from Italian (caffè) espresso, literally 'pressed out (coffee)'.
The often-occurring variant spelling expresso—and its pronunciation /ikˈspresō/ —is incorrect and was probably formed by analogy with express.
More definitions of espressoDefinition of espresso in:
- The British & World English dictionary