Adhering to, advocating, or relating to the principle of an established church.
- Because of its roots in the established Church of England, the Episcopal Church has long sought to play an establishmentarian role in the United States.
- In the 1990s Sweden finally decided that the establishmentarian status of the Lutheran Church should be abolished by the year 2000.
A person adhering to or advocating this.
- This illustrates that the language of separation didn't come from the advocates of separation, but was used by the Establishmentarians to frighten people away from embracing the disestablishment agenda of the Baptists.
- He concluded that entanglements between religion and the civil state lead to the very corruption that establishmentarians argued was countered by an ecclesiastical establishment.
- Example sentences
- There remained, of course, vestiges of establishmentarianism and a deep suspicion of Roman Catholics.
- Manifestations of establishmentarianism included imposing a mandatory tax in support of church worship, limiting the right of suffrage to church members, and mandating belief in the Christian faith.
Words that rhyme with establishmentarianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of establishmentarian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.