Definition of estimate in English:
- But which valuation methods are most suitable for estimating these external costs?
- For that reason, estimating the net asset value can be a dangerous business.
- The average mean dose of irradiation was six times the quantity estimated by the doctor.
- Current market estimates place values of more than €500 million on the airline.
- Though such estimates may be of value for research or policy purposes, using them to scare the public cannot be considered legitimate.
- Official estimates put the value of the conference to the Manchester economy at more than £2m.
- The cost of simply getting a quote or estimate for its repair will likely amount to a fair percentage of the replacement cost.
- They were told to get an estimate of the likely cost of ramps and bring it before parish councillors again.
- He said the company carries out measurements for homes and provides estimates free of charge.
- His real kindness was shown by genial estimates of character and liberal appreciation of the labours of others engaged in kindred studies.
- It's how you make any sort of estimate of the character of a public figure.
- They can only make fair estimates of their physical characteristics or their personality traits.
late Middle English: from Latin aestimat- 'determined, appraised', from the verb aestimare. The noun originally meant 'intellectual ability, comprehension' (only in late Middle English), later 'valuing, a valuation' (compare with estimation). The verb originally meant 'to think well or badly of someone or something' (late 15th century), later 'regard as being, consider to be' (compare with esteem).
- Example sentences
- In October 1965, the Joint Intelligence Committee (the United Kingdom's highest estimative body) advised the political leadership that even a full trade embargo would ‘not in itself have crippling effects on the Rhodesian economy.’
- Intelligence analysts, though, use estimative processes to create some analyses, thus ‘artificially creating the future through the selection of starting assumptions and scenario creation’.
- Our failure to detect a traveling wave in this ratio could not be attributed to the low power of the test, as the estimative power was high.