Definition of estranged in English:
1(Of a person) no longer close or affectionate to someone; alienated: Harriet felt more estranged from her daughter than ever her estranged father
More example sentences
- The fact that Florinda has no home, no means of supporting herself and fears her estranged family will harm her, does not make her a refugee under strict interpretation of the rules.
- Returning home after two years, Maceo Redfield learns that his estranged friend Holly Ford is a suspect in the murder of a local call girl.
- If we take the road to peace with our estranged neighbour, then can we not resolve our domestic problems in a peaceful manner?
1.1(Of a wife or husband) no longer living with their spouse.
- Despite a restraining order, the estranged husband continued to prowl around his wife's house, sleeping in her yard and calling her constantly by phone.
- There he found his estranged wife and her father.
- Samuel L. Jackson, meanwhile, plays Doyle Gipson, a recovering alcoholic in a child custody dispute with his estranged wife.
Definition of estranged in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan