Definition of estranged in English:
1(Of a person) no longer close or affectionate to someone; alienated: Harriet felt more estranged from her daughter than ever her estranged father
More example sentences
- The fact that Florinda has no home, no means of supporting herself and fears her estranged family will harm her, does not make her a refugee under strict interpretation of the rules.
- Returning home after two years, Maceo Redfield learns that his estranged friend Holly Ford is a suspect in the murder of a local call girl.
- If we take the road to peace with our estranged neighbour, then can we not resolve our domestic problems in a peaceful manner?
1.1(Of a wife or husband) no longer living with their spouse.
- Despite a restraining order, the estranged husband continued to prowl around his wife's house, sleeping in her yard and calling her constantly by phone.
- There he found his estranged wife and her father.
- Samuel L. Jackson, meanwhile, plays Doyle Gipson, a recovering alcoholic in a child custody dispute with his estranged wife.
Definition of estranged in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.