Law , chiefly historical
Enforce the forfeit of (a surety for bail or other recognizance).
- There have been plenty of decided cases in recent years relating to the obligations of sureties and the circumstances in which their recognisances may be estreated in whole or in part.
- It should not be anticipated that the courts will order the entire bail to be estreated when there is no evidence (other than the certificate) to weigh the appropriate sanction.
- What the Corporation owned at dissolution was estreated to the Crown.
- Example sentences
- The basis of estreatment is not as a matter of punishment of the surety, but because he has failed to fulfil the obligation which he undertook.
- The law as to what is required to found an order of forfeiture against the surety is set out in most of the cases dealing with estreatment.
Words that rhyme with estreataccrete, autocomplete, beet, bittersweet, bleat, cheat, cleat, clubfeet, compete, compleat, complete, conceit, Crete, deceit, delete, deplete, discreet, discrete, eat, effete, élite, entreat, escheat, excrete, feat, feet, fleet, gîte, greet, heat, leat, leet, Magritte, maltreat, marguerite, meat, meet, meet-and-greet, mesquite, mete, mistreat, neat, outcompete, peat, Pete, petite, pleat, receipt, replete, sangeet, seat, secrete, sheet, skeet, sleet, splay-feet, street, suite, sweet, teat, treat, tweet, wheat
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of estreat in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.