- Any of a group of steroid hormones that promote the development and maintenance of female characteristics of the body. Such hormones are also produced artificially for use in oral contraceptives or to treat menopausal and menstrual disorders.More example sentences
- Phytoestrogens, the most well known of which are the isoflavones from soy, are not technically estrogens or steroid hormones at all.
- In this form of therapy, women take a combination of the hormones estrogen and progestin.
- The ovaries also produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone.
- More example sentences
- Isoflavonoids are biologically active, with well-established estrogenic and fungicidal functions.
- In further research on estrogenic activity, the Fargo team confirmed the presence of estrogens and has developed the technology to isolate, identify, and purify the chemicals that prove to be important.
- ‘The isoflavones in soy protein have been found to exert an estrogenic effect that can be beneficial for female athletes,’ says Evans.
More definitions of estrogenDefinition of estrogen in:
- The British & World English dictionary