(also estrum or chiefly British oestrus)
- A recurring period of sexual receptivity and fertility in many female mammals; heat: a mare in estrusMore example sentences
- ‘When the female is in estrus, breeding bulls that are 35 to 55 years old and in their prime can be many miles away,’ Garstang said.
- Females have a short estrus period of 3 to 5 days.
- A beef cow has a 21-day estrous cycle, the period from one estrus, or heat, to the next.
- More example sentences
- Males often have overlapping home ranges and compete for access to estrous females; both males and females are generally solitary.
- Social rank then determines access to estrous ewes during the rut.
- Variables included in the model were community size, number of adult males, number of adult females, number of dependent infants, number of estrous females, and rainfall as an approximation for food availability.
late 17th century: from Greek oistros 'gadfly or frenzy'.
More definitions of estrusDefinition of estrus in:
- The British & World English dictionary