- A powerful diuretic drug used in the treatment of fluid retention, especially that associated with heart, liver, and kidney disorders.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: 2,3-dichloro-4-(2-ethylacryloyl) phenoxyacetic acid; chemical formula: C13H12Cl2O4
- The combination of a loop diuretic (eg, ethacrynic acid, furosemide, or bumetanide) and metolazone is a powerful diuretic combination.
- The risk is increased with age or concomitant use of loop-inhibiting diuretics (furosemide, ethacrynic acid).
1960s: ethacrynic from elements of the systematic name (see above).
More definitions of ethacrynic acidDefinition of ethacrynic acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary