Relating to ancient Etruria, its people, or their language.
- However, at its height Etruscan society was heavily influenced by the culture of the Greek colonies of southern Italy.
- There's something still really mysterious about the Etruscan civilization and language.
- According to Roman legend, the Romans expelled the Etruscan king Tarquin the Proud from Rome around 509 B.C. and founded the Roman Republic.
1A native of ancient Etruria.
- In particular, the Romans fought against the Etruscans and the Samnites.
- For the Etruscans, armed combat between individuals was connected to religious practice. Men fought to the death beside the tomb of their chief in order to strengthen their spirits as well as the spirits of others.
- In many respects, the culture of the Etruscans was very similar to that of the Mycenae in Greece.
2The language of ancient Etruria, of unknown affinity, written in an alphabet derived from Greek.
- For a start, the letters generally point in the opposite direction to the Greek ones, because Etruscan was written from right to left, whereas classical Greek was written from left to right.
Words that rhyme with Etruscanmolluscan (US molluskan), Tuscan
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Etruscan in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.