A shrimplike, planktonic marine crustacean of an order that includes krill. Many kinds are luminescent.
- Order Euphausiaceae, subclass Malacostraca
More example sentences
- Unexpectedly, even juvenile mysids, which are never planktonic, have similar optics to those of larval euphausiids and decapods, and form refracting superposition eyes in adults.
- Plankton such as euphausiids are important food for pre-grisle but amphipods and decapods are also consumed.
- Throughout the euphausiids, decapods, and stomatopods, larvae invariably possess compound eyes, which are naturally complicated structures.
Definition of euphausiid in:
- The British & World English dictionary