A political system advocated by some communist parties in western European countries, stressing independence from the former Soviet Communist Party and preservation of many elements of Western liberal democracy.
- But that whole concept of Eurocommunism or African communism is against the basic thrust of history.
- In Latin Europe, the communist parties weakened as the era of Eurocommunism waned.
- At the time it also developed a party line that came to resemble Eurocommunism, ostensibly independent of both the USSR and China.
Eurocommunist adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- The final 20 years exemplify this dual ideology - moving to the right of the Labour Party (and heralding ‘New’ Labour) in its Eurocommunist identity, while posing as the socialist conscience of CND and AAM.
- Gramsci's ideas influenced the Eurocommunist movement in Western Europe after World War II.
- At first, his ‘Eurocommunist’ course - signalled by a sharper demarcation from Moscow and rapprochement with social democracy - was enthusiastically supported by the United Secretariat.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Eurocommunism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.