- An extinct marine arthropod of a group occurring in the Paleozoic era. They are related to horseshoe crabs and resemble large scorpions with a terminal pair of paddle-shaped swimming appendages.
More example sentences
- Subclass Eurypterida, class Merostomata, subphylum Chelicerata
- Important fossil groups are the trilobites, a large group of Palaeozoic marine arthropods of uncertain affinity, and the eurypterids, Palaeozoic marine forms related to the arachnids.
- Dr Selden said the Megarachne, a giant eurypterid or sea scorpion, is closely related to a creature called Woodwardopterus, from the Carboniferous Period, found in Scotland and with relatives in South Africa.
- The most remarkable example is the three-dimensionally preserved soft tissues of the giant conodont animal Promissum pulchrum, eurypterids and other arthropods from the Upper Ordovician Soom Shale of South Africa.
More definitions of eurypteridDefinition of eurypterid in:
- The British & World English dictionary