1 (usually evening prayers) A formal act of worship held in the evening.
- Some of his ‘handlers’ took this as a command and duly murdered the Archbishop during his evening prayers in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170.
- Recently, a visiting Indonesian friend's jeans were licked by our resident mutt, which necessitated a quick trip home for a change of clothes prior to evening prayers.
- The sisters of Scholastica Convent gathered for evening prayers happy to be alive.
1.1 [in singular] (In the Anglican Church) the service of evensong.
- Removal took place from the Presentation Convent, Galway to St. Joseph's Church for evening prayer and interment took place in Rahoon Cemetery following Requiem Mass on Saturday.
- For a while I actually did jazz morning prayer or jazz evening prayer in a little church in New Haven.
- Morning prayer is said every weekday morning, and evening prayer or evensong every night.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: eve·ning prayer
Definition of evening prayer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.