Definition of evolutionist in English:
A person who believes in the theories of evolution and natural selection.
- Oh wait, these great scientists weren't evolutionists: they all believed in creation!
- Although evolutionists believe that feathers evolved from scales, they have very little in common.
- This is a difficulty for evolutionists since they believe that all insects share a common ancestor.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the theories of evolution and natural selection: an evolutionist model
More example sentences
- Further, there is too much variety to be accommodated by any evolutionist theory of common descent.
- Contrary to the mass media's claims, teaching of evolutionist theory was not to be in any way forbidden, or in any way restricted.
- The categories and relations of evolutionist theory in anthropology expressed deeply held values.
- Example sentences
- We are, in part, natural beings, but we alone among the animals are in some ways alienated from the natural world in which we live. Fundamentalist creationism and rigidly atheistic evolutionism are both pretty implausible.
- Leaving aside the scientific merits of intelligent design theory, it is controversial because it dares to challenge the strictly enforced, unquestioned, and narrow dogma of Darwinian evolutionism.
- Neither Intelligent Design nor theistic evolutionism, alas, is the most influential position among the evangelical rank and file, where Young Earth creationism still holds sway.
Definition of evolutionist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India