Definition of exanthema in English:
noun (plural exanthemata /-ˈTHemətə/)Medicine
A skin rash accompanying a disease or fever.
- A 33-year-old man presented with a generalized pruritic skin exanthema that had been present for 1 day.
- Other childhood infections such as herpetic stomatitis, exanthema subitum, and chickenpox also seemed protective.
- Roseola, or exanthema subitum, is caused by human herpesvirus 6.
- Example sentences
- The name pityriasis rosea was given to the exanthematous illness in 1860-a long time ago - but its exact cause remains uncertain.
- This 81 year old woman developed a florid, blanching exanthematous maculopapular rash over her trunk, arms, and proximal thighs after two weeks of treatment with ciprofloxacin for a wound infection.
Definition of exanthema in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan