- An area of coastal water and seabed within a certain distance of a country’s coastline, to which the country claims exclusive rights for fishing, drilling, and other economic activities.More example sentences
- Under the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea, it is prohibited for a country to conduct research on natural resources that may lead to economic activities in the exclusive economic zone of another country.
- In particular, the post-UNCED agreements and other instruments stress the need to adopt a precautionary approach, and to harmonize management of coastal areas and exclusive economic zones.
- It argues the islands legally belong to Japan and that the area is within its exclusive economic zone.
More definitions of exclusive economic zoneDefinition of exclusive economic zone in:
- The British & World English dictionary