Officially exclude (someone) from participation in the sacraments and services of the Christian Church.
- He left for France and then Germany, where he was excommunicated by the Lutheran Church, and returned to Italy in the mistaken belief that it would be safe to do so.
- The church excommunicated people who said that the earth revolved around the sun.
- A Puritan New England congregation even excommunicated a man who neglected the sexual aspect of his relationship with his wife!
Excommunicated: all violators were to be pronounced excommunicate
More example sentences
- Any that fought against him would be automatically excommunicate.
- In 1310 the excommunicate Bruce secured the support of the Scottish clergy.
- The suspension of Roger from office and the restoration of the excommunicate status of Gilbert Foliot and Jocelin of Salisbury would derail that plan.
An excommunicated person.
- The Constitutions of Clarendon expressly forbade any oath about future conduct being required from an excommunicate.
- Example sentences
- Aaron's father presides over the panel of Mormon excommunicators, and his son's ‘sin’ is so disgusting it can barely be put into words.
Words that rhyme with excommunicatecommunicate, intercommunicate, tunicate
Definition of excommunicate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.