Definition of exemplify in English:
verb (exemplifies, exemplifying, exemplified)[with object]
1Be a typical example of: rock bands that best exemplify the spirit of the age
More example sentences
- Our industry is one steeped in parts and details, and the current crop of specifications exemplifies such.
- The special award, presented posthumously, exemplifies the spirit of Muskingum College.
- It's a great Australian and human story exemplifying the antithesis of current Coalition values.
typify, epitomize, be a typical example of, represent, be representative of, symbolize
1.1Give an example of; illustrate by giving an example.
- This poignant illustration of devastated motherhood exemplifies the problematics of literalizing Beloved on screen.
- This study illustrates that particular patterns and behaviors exemplifying the relationship work of generative fathering can be found in narrative accounts told by fathers of their experiences connecting with children.
- Certainly a better, more timely illustration than one from 1873 could have been chosen to exemplify the primacy and precedence of Sloan's subject matter in American visual culture.
illustrate, give an example of, demonstrate
1.2 Law Make an attested copy of (a document) under an official seal.
- This is the principal of ethical retribution, exemplified (in criminal law) by Kant's dictum about the moral necessity of executing even the last murderer.
- The question therefore is whether the materials exemplified will have the qualities called for by the claim and in particular whether hoes in late prehistoric times.
- Example sentences
- In a world of six billion mortal souls, we are never far away from a flesh-and-blood exemplification of life's one great certainty.
- Well, we're all exemplifications of the principle that people have children.
- And those Classical artistic compositions' principles are the exemplification of the methods of political thinking of a people, which are necessary for a good society.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'illustrate by examples'): from medieval Latin exemplificare, from Latin exemplum 'sample' (see example).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.