Definition of exocytosis in English:
A process by which the contents of a cell vacuole are released to the exterior through fusion of the vacuole membrane with the cell membrane.
- Membrane fusion is a key event in many essential cell processes, such as exocytosis, endocytosis, membrane recycling, protein sorting and transport, fertilization, and cell division.
- In the studies cited, only the intensity of fluorescence was used to observe the metabolism, exocytosis and phagocytosis of cells.
- Planar-supported membranes provide an interesting and very useful new approach to study the complex molecular machinery of exocytosis and membrane fusion.
- Example sentences
- Release of neurotransmitters and hormones from cells involves exocytotic fusion of secretory vesicles with the plasma membrane.
- In addition to factors regulating the fusion of exocytotic vesicles with the plasma membrane, postfusion events have attracted broad scientific interest.
- Can similar conformational transitions occur in vivo, for example, during exocytotic swelling of secretory granules or in a stretched fibronectin matrix?
Definition of exocytosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia