Definition of exocytosis in English:
A process by which the contents of a cell vacuole are released to the exterior through fusion of the vacuole membrane with the cell membrane.
- Membrane fusion is a key event in many essential cell processes, such as exocytosis, endocytosis, membrane recycling, protein sorting and transport, fertilization, and cell division.
- In the studies cited, only the intensity of fluorescence was used to observe the metabolism, exocytosis and phagocytosis of cells.
- Planar-supported membranes provide an interesting and very useful new approach to study the complex molecular machinery of exocytosis and membrane fusion.
- Example sentences
- Release of neurotransmitters and hormones from cells involves exocytotic fusion of secretory vesicles with the plasma membrane.
- In addition to factors regulating the fusion of exocytotic vesicles with the plasma membrane, postfusion events have attracted broad scientific interest.
- Can similar conformational transitions occur in vivo, for example, during exocytotic swelling of secretory granules or in a stretched fibronectin matrix?
Definition of exocytosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.