noun (plural explananda /-də/)Philosophy
- another term for explicandum.More example sentences
- First, it is important to distinguish explananda of different types, and, in particular, to distinguish appetites from emotions.
- Explanation holds only when the explanans is conceptually related to the explanandum, and this can occur only at the same level of function.
- A hypothesis of homology is the explanandum, the phenomenon that is to be explained; evolution provides the explanans, the explanation of the phenomenon.
late 19th century: from Latin, '(something) to be explained'.
More definitions of explanandumDefinition of explanandum in:
- The British & World English dictionary