1(On a highway) a lane for through traffic, having fewer exits.
- The new express lane has been criticized after a traffic death.
- The accident occurred at a high traffic time in the express lanes of one of the busiest sections of one of the busiest highways in Canada.
- Why does the sign above the entrance to the express lanes on the Interstate 90 bridge say ‘Exit’?
1.1(In a grocery store) a checkout aisle for shoppers buying only a few items.
- The gimmicky aspect of the book is that you can shop for four meals and still check out through the express lane.
- Against all the signs and tradition I wheeled my trolley through the express lanes, with the approval of the checkout bloke, the only one working.
- When we went to pay for our things, we only had few items, so we went to the express lanes.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: ex·press lane
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.