verb[with object] Biology
- Cause to protrude; push out: (as adjective exserted) an exserted stigmaMore example sentences
- On the basis of the phylogenic relationships, autogamous species most likely evolved from self-incompatibility ancestors that have exserted stigmas.
- In flowers of short-styled individuals, the top of the stigma is located just above the midpoint of the corolla tube and stamens are slightly exserted.
- All three subspecies are white flowering with a tubular corolla and a long style that exserts the stigma from the corolla tube.
mid 17th century: from Latin exsert- 'put forth', from the verb exserere (see exert).
More definitions of exsertDefinition of exsert in:
- The British & World English dictionary