- Collaboration between the extern or intern, clinical educator, and preceptor is extremely important if the student is to successfully achieve the goals.
- For the student nurse in the extern role, this translates to practicing in the perioperative setting the critical-thinking, interpersonal, and technical skills learned in school.
- Nurse externs work under the direct supervision of preceptors in a variety of settings.
- During that time, I took a break to serve as an extern on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.
- Sponsors and students should jointly determine the extern's role in his/her experience as well as the length of the externship.
- She worked as a judicial extern for two US federal judges as well as a trainee at the European Commission's Legal Service.
- In the miniature society of the cloister, numbering between ten and eleven sisters and an extern or two, her success meets some of the same responses a successful worldly artist would find.
- The two other externs, whose duties often prevented them from having time for silent meditation, had also chosen to remain.
- These three sisters are the externs at the convent of St. Teresa in Coimbra where Sister Lucia lived for 57 years.
Mid 16th century (as an adjective in the sense 'external'): from French externe or Latin externus, from exter 'outer'. The word was used by Shakespeare to mean 'outward appearance'; current senses date from the early 17th century.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of extern in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.