Definition of extracorporeal in English:
1Situated or occurring outside the body.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation with extracorporeal warming is the gold standard treatment for patients with profound hypothermia.
- In one trial, inhaled nitric oxide reduced the need for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in neonates without increasing neurodevelopmental, behavioral or medical abnormalities at two years of age.
- An example of such a process was the United Kingdom extracorporeal membrane oxygenation collaborative trial in neonates.
1.1Denoting a technique of lithotripsy using shock waves generated externally.
- Another method that may be applicable is the use of shock waves generated by extracorporeal lithotripters or lasers.
- Renal calculi less than 2 cm in size can generally be treated with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy.
- The other so-called revolutionary treatment is extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy, where gallstones are crushed by sound waves.
Definition of extracorporeal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan