noun (plural extremums or extrema /-mə/)[usually as modifier] Mathematics
- The maximum or minimum value of a function.More example sentences
- Correlation coefficients showed multiple local extrema with a global maximum, and success in tracking generally relies on the presence of such a maximum at the correct x-y location within each search area.
- Trajectories x that solve Newton's equations are those that are extrema of the action A = [integral operator] L (x, v (t)) dt.
- The first step in solving such equations by the variational method is to show that the extremum is attained.
early 20th century: from Latin, neuter of extremus 'utmost' (see extreme).
More definitions of extremumDefinition of extremum in:
- The British & World English dictionary