Definition of eye worm in English:
Either of two parasitic nematode worms that affect the eyes of mammals.
- ● A filarial worm of equatorial Africa, infesting humans and other primates, causing loiasis and sometimes passing across the cornea (Loa loa, class Phasmida). ● A nematode that occurs in the region of the eyelid and tear duct, found chiefly in hoofed mammals (genus Thelazia, class Phasmida).
- The nematode eye worm, Thelazia sp. is transmitted to horses and cattle by the face fly.
- An eye worm of the genus Thelazia was first reported in the United States in 1930.
- The eye worm lays eggs on the surface of the eye.
Definition of eye worm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan