Definition of eye worm in English:
Either of two parasitic nematode worms that affect the eyes of mammals.
- ● A filarial worm of equatorial Africa, infesting humans and other primates, causing loiasis and sometimes passing across the cornea (Loa loa, class Phasmida). ● A nematode that occurs in the region of the eyelid and tear duct, found chiefly in hoofed mammals (genus Thelazia, class Phasmida).
- The nematode eye worm, Thelazia sp. is transmitted to horses and cattle by the face fly.
- An eye worm of the genus Thelazia was first reported in the United States in 1930.
- The eye worm lays eggs on the surface of the eye.
Definition of eye worm in:
- British & World English dictionary