Definition of face-saving in English:
Preserving one’s reputation, credibility, or dignity: a face-saving solution for both sides
More example sentences
- The face-saving compromise now being pushed into the future of licensing reforms is to allow restaurants to offer the full range of alcoholic drinks as part of their service.
- The others agreed to consider it, and negotiated face-saving compromises which fell far short of Olivares' proposals.
- This seemed to be a compromise, face-saving revelation that would allow more frankness further down the line.
- Example sentences
- And Barbara Tan, of Virginia Water in Surrey, proved yet again that a good black and white outfit can be pulled out of the wardrobe as a fantastic fashion face-saver, wearing a zebra-print jacket with long black skirt and striking hat.
- However, getting no response from the other side, the Moulvi was left with no other choice but to renounce his post as a virtual face-saver.
- Effusiveness of the praise which was given him made it look suspiciously as if he was being eased out, and given credit as a face-saver.
Definition of face-saving in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan