Definition of facing in English:
1A layer of material covering part of a garment and providing contrast, decoration, or strength.
- Make the same adjustment on the underarm facing for a sleeveless garment.
- Instead of sleeves, finish the armhole with a narrow facing.
- Repeat to sew the facing to the garment, turning the seam allowances out of the way of the lapel.
1.1 (facings) The cuffs, collar, and lapels of a military jacket, contrasting in color with the rest of the garment.
- The meet took place at Chavenage House near Tetbury, and the Princess Royal was mounted on a bay horse and wore the traditional Beaufort outfit, a navy blue jacket with buff facings.
- Regiments designated as ‘Royal’ adopted blue facings, blue being another principal colour of British royal heraldry and of the national flag.
- They wear a uniform - blouse and trousers - of a bright homespun material, without any facings, but with brass buttons and collar ornaments.
2An outer layer covering the surface of a wall.
- Finish ornamental stone facings and surfaces of concrete structural products.
- Mindful of Ben Rhydding's new conservation area status, the developers have been careful to include design features like using local stone for wall facings and slate roofs to ensure they get planning approval.
- With its facing of white Portland stone, copper-covered roof and flèche glittering with gold bands the chapel can be seen far across Stanley Park.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
Positioned with the front toward a certain direction; opposite: a book with Italian and English lyrics printed on facing pages [in combination]: two large front-facing windows
More example sentences
- I prodded the button with the downward facing arrow, and tapped my foot impatiently as the lift continued its journey to the 80th floor first before descending.
- It must be said that the sideways facing hard drive bays and trays make it significantly easier to install, adjust and remove the drives.
- Take care not to cut too close to a bud; about a quarter of an inch above an outward facing bud, cutting down and away from the bud on a 45 degree angle.
Words that rhyme with facingbracing, casing, lacing, placing, self-effacing, spacing, tracing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.