Definition of factitious in English:
Artificially created or developed: a largely factitious national identity
More example sentences
- Occasionally, epilepsy can be mistaken for narcolepsy, and factitious simulation of narcolepsy has been described.
- People with factitious disorder feign or actually induce illness in themselves, typically to garner the nurturance of others.
- She was said to be suffering from factitious illness by proxy, a disorder previously referred to as Munchausen's syndrome by proxy.
Mid 17th century (in the general sense 'made by human skill or effort'): from Latin facticius 'made by art', from facere 'do, make'.
- Example sentences
- Initially presenting doctors with factitiously ill children seems in some cases to become more direct manipulation, with complaints being directed at the doctors.
- But in addition to this, owing to the large portions of mercury, irritation of the intestinal canal may be produced factitiously which will be a complication not to be desired.
- During multiple hospitalizations, she developed episodes of fever of unknown origin and was believed to have factitiously elevated her temperature.
- Example sentences
- I guess that there's some part of me beneath all the factitiousness that really hopes life will have the happily ever after ending after all.
- He runs through the disadvantages: the journal has no ‘mission’, no necessity; it forces the writer to strike poses, and in its triviality, inessentiality, and factitiousness incessantly opens the comic question, ‘Am I?’
- The form or ‘factitiousness’ of the anecdote provides the shape and the subjectivity of the account.
Words that rhyme with factitiousadventitious, Aloysius, ambitious, auspicious, avaricious, capricious, conspicuous, delicious, expeditious, fictitious, flagitious, judicious, lubricious, malicious, Mauritius, meretricious, nutritious, officious, pernicious, propitious, repetitious, seditious, siliceous, superstitious, suppositious, surreptitious, suspicious, vicious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan