Definition of factoid in English:
1North American A brief or trivial item of news or information.
- A repetitive set-top game called Search for the Spear of Destiny requires a beginner's level of dexterity, and delivers trivial lost-civilization factoids as reward cookies for successful play.
- Billions of virus-like packets of little news factoids fly around the net, and people intercept packets that meet criteria of interest.
- This is a fairly well-known factoid in alternative news media.
1.1An assumption or speculation that is reported and repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact.
- When does a piece of data go from being a factoid to being a fact?
- I don't know whether this item is a fact, or a factoid.
- There is another way to weigh this trend, however: maybe readers and viewers are not so much growing insular as searching for meaning in a vast universe of fact and factoid, and embracing a political bent is one way of organizing it.
Definition of factoid in:
- British & World English dictionary