- 1(Of an undertaking or a relationship) not achieving its end or not lasting; unsuccessful: a failed coup attemptMore example sentences
- It is reported that she had her share of physical problems such as epilepsy but her real problem was a series of failed relationships.
- She is tired of her ‘Tragic Annie’ tag, the depressed woman with the string of failed relationships.
- They believe that displaying the objects associated with a failed relationship is better therapy than destroying them.
- 1.1(Of a person) unsuccessful in a particular activity, especially not good enough to make a living by it: a failed writerMore example sentences
- I am a writer, some would say a failed writer, but really, how is it possible to fail at writing?
- Copy editors can't be taken lightly and brushed off as a bunch of failed writers.
- You can take your Olympians and your failed athletes, I'll stick with old Captain Bob if its all the same.
- 1.2(Of a business) unable to continue due to financial difficulties.More example sentences
- I was declared bankrupt after a failed business venture and then divorced my second wife.
- Mr. Muhammad, who has a series of failed businesses in his past, hung up the telephone on a reporter who called for comment.
- Many were curious about my failed business ventures and relocation to deepest West Sussex.
- 2(Of a mechanism) not functioning properly; broken-down: an aircraft with a failed engineMore example sentences
- Failing one engine, he brought the aircraft to a stall to stop the rotation of the failed engine's prop.
- What is the quickest and most efficient way to determine the root cause of a failed transmission system?
- The rescue craft is normally based at Cottage Point but for the last ten months has been idle because of a failed engine.
More definitions of failedDefinition of failed in:
- The British & World English dictionary