A person who has a timid or reserved nature.
- The Crystal Centre was no place for faint hearts on Sunday as these two teams threw everything into a bid to advance another stage, and Crystal were still very much in the game as the minutes ticked away.
- But she was happy to use and bolster her own image for party advantage, and that image was of a battling, indomitable leader surrounded by weaklings, faint hearts and compromisers.
- This match, in every sense the ultimate test, is not for faint hearts and it is no surprise that the only two to have looked completely at ease are the mighty Shane Warne and Andrew Flintoff.
faint heart never won fair lady
- proverb Timidity will prevent you from achieving your objective.Example sentences
- Yes, awkward; yes, risky - but faint heart never won fair lady and all that.
- "Faint heart never won fair lady," win the advice of a friend to Mr. Child, the son of a brewer, who sought the hand of the lady.
- ‘Well, faint heart ne'er won fair maiden, or so the sayin’ goes Rennalt, ‘you had better make this one a good one‘.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: faint heart
Definition of faint heart in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.