An external metal or plastic structure added to increase streamlining and reduce drag, especially on a high-performance car, motorcycle, boat, or aircraft.
- The wing fairing and the associated structure have been installed on the forward fuselage section.
- Years later when the definitive fin/rudder was retrofitted to this aircraft, these fairings remained unchanged.
- Each tank is fitted with a gravity fuelling point and there is a pressure refuelling point in the landing gear fairing on the starboard side.
Words that rhyme with fairingairing, ballbearing, bearing, Behring, Bering, caring, daring, file-sharing, hardwearing, pairing, paring, raring, sparing, Waring, wearing
Definition of fairing in:
- British & World English dictionary
Entry from British & World English dictionary
A small present bought at a fair.
- A more usual derivation, from the other spelling, is that it comes from Care or Carle Sunday, in the way, suggests Brand, that presents from fairs are called fairlings, or as we should say, fairings.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.