Definition of fairy wren in English:
A small Australian songbird with a long cocked tail, the male of which has partly or mainly blue plumage.
- Genus Malurus, family Maluridae: several species, in particular the common superb fairy wren or blue wren (M. cyaneus)
- Then a fairy wren blundered through the kitchen door, turning the cottage into a house trap for birds.
- Their hosts include weaverbirds and sunbirds in Africa and Asia, as well as fairy wrens and thornbills in Australia.
- If a chick of Horsfield's bronze-cuckoo hatches in a superb fairy wren nest and heaves out the rightful chicks, about 40 percent of mother fairy-wrens desert the nest.
Definition of fairy wren in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.