Definition of fairy wren in English:
A small Australian songbird with a long cocked tail, the male of which has partly or mainly blue plumage.
- Genus Malurus, family Maluridae: several species, in particular the common superb fairy wren or blue wren (M. cyaneus)
- Then a fairy wren blundered through the kitchen door, turning the cottage into a house trap for birds.
- Their hosts include weaverbirds and sunbirds in Africa and Asia, as well as fairy wrens and thornbills in Australia.
- If a chick of Horsfield's bronze-cuckoo hatches in a superb fairy wren nest and heaves out the rightful chicks, about 40 percent of mother fairy-wrens desert the nest.
Definition of fairy wren in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan